Problems starting X [FC2]

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Tue Jun 1 16:55:10 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am trying to get Fedora Core 2 working on the following system:
	cpu: P4-2.8E
	mb: ASUS P4S800D-E DLX S478 SIS655TX DDR
	ram: DDR 2x512 MB
	video: ATI RADEON 7000 64M AGP

This will be a linux-only computer.  Sorry for the long-winded
description below, but I am trying to give as much detail as
possible.

The installation procedure went fine (though I have searched the
web and found that many have had trouble with the installation
on the ASUS 800-series mboards).  But when I went for my first
reboot, the computer seemed to crash as soon as the boot
sequence started, that is immediately after the "Press 'I' to enter
interactive setup" message the screen went blank and the computer
froze (ctrl-alt-backspace did nothing).

I got rid of the graphical boot loader by dropping "rhgb quiet" from
the grub boot paramaters and the boot sequence went well until
it came time to load X, at which point the computer crashed again.
A message flashed onto the screen before the screen went blank
but it was impossible to read.  I then logged into single mode by
appending "single" to the boot parameters, and managed to get a
terminal.  Looking through the file Xorg.0.log I found the error message:

	Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
	Fatal server error:
	could not open default font 'fixed'

I searched the web a little, and found that this had to do with the
xfs service not running.  During the full boot up seqeunce, with
the deafult parameters passed to the kernel, it says
	Starting xfs:     [OK]
so maybe it is getting killed/stopped somehow?  Anyway, when
I load up in single mode, xfs isn't started by default, so I started
it with
	/etc/init.d/xfs start
And then I tried to run startx, which wouldn't because xauth
wasn't in my path.  I guess root isn't supposed to start X?
After I put the /usr/X11R6/bin directory in my path and ran
startx, the system crashed again.  I could not find a log file
though.

I repeated everything above, and decided to run Xorg
instead of startx.  This generated a log file, but the log
file was not very useful.  It is ery short, and ends with

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
(II) Module ABI versions:
        X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.2
        X.Org Video Driver: 0.7
        X.Org XInput driver : 0.4
        X.Org Server Extension : 0.2
        X.Org Font Renderer : 0.4
(II) Loader running on linux
(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"

And that's all there is in it.  I'm stuck.  Any help would be
much appreciated.

Thanks.