OpenOffice.org broken

I can't figure out why, but openoffice writer is completely broken it
takes a few seconds for letters to appear after you type them. That's on
a fast machine (3.2GHz, 1GB ram). The CPU and memory usage is very low
and there isn't any disk activity so I am puzzled by that.

Anyone having the same problem and is there any solution.

Between I am using OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 on Fedora Core 2.