kde takes a nose dive

Hello,
I don't think I have done anything out of the ordinary but kde and gnome keep taking a nose dive with the message "signal " and "Sigserv" all over the place and I suppose Sigserv means signal for the serveur and of course this only happens in graphic mode. My video card is a winfast with a nvidia gforce fx on it. It seems to me that the problem is here. Also each time I try to "yum" into livna I get a segmentation fault. I should add that this computer contains an above normal quantity of via parts (which I deeply regret but life is like that) Any ideas how I can get out of this one please?
John Brennan-Sardou