FC2 & Belkin KVM Switch

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 1 22:18:24 UTC 2004

Nathan G. Grennan wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 15:40 -0500, admin at kclinux.net wrote:
>
>>I have a user that has two PC's connected to a Belkin 4 port KVM switch.
>>
>>One PC is a Windows XP/FC2 dual boot.
>>The other PC is a FC2 test server running KDE.
>>
>>When he switches from one computer to another, the Windows one works
>>fine.  But when he switches to the Fedora box, the mouse jumps all over
>>the screen.
>>
>>The keyboard is a Logitech Elite Keyboard and the mouse is a
>>Intellimouse Explorer 3.0.
>>
>>Anyone know how to fix the mouse problem on the FC2 box?  They keyboard
>>still works fine after switching, its just the mouse that is having
>>problems.
>>

>   The KVM causes problems when you use a wheel mouse and tell Linux it
> is a wheel mouse. It tries to emulate the mouse when it isn't connected
> to a computer for input. The mouse it emulates is a non-wheel mouse, and
> hence causes the problem. So you can either reconfigure the mouse on the
> Linux box to non-wheel, or replace the KVM. There are a variety of
> temporary workarounds, but no solution I have found.
>
>   I own a Belkin 4port ps/2 kvm and ended up replacing it with a Iogear
> Miniview SE 4port ps/2 kvm. The Iogear does the emulation properly, at
> least for the wheel mice. As for more complex mice with extra button I
> haven't dared.

The Linksys KVMs work well, too.  And, like yourself, I haven't dared
using one of those 5+ button mice, either.  I get confused enough as it
stands!  :-p

-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -