Is there a tool to convert decimal/octal/hex ?

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Jun 1 23:43:06 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 12:58:26PM -0500, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> clemens at dwf.com wrote:
>
> >I seem to remember that there used to be a tool in Linux to
> >convert between decimal and octal and Hex, but I havent
> >stumbled over it in my recent search.
> >
> >Anyone know of such a beast?
> >
> In gnome, click on the Fedora Button => Accessories => Calculator. In
> the calculator, click on  "View" and select 'Scientific Mode'. From a
> command line, type 'gcalctool'.

Or if you (like me) are a more traditional unix user, you can use the
commandline calculator "bc":

	# bc
	bc 1.06
	Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
	This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
	For details type `warranty'.
	obase=16
	256
	100
	obase=A
	256
	256
	obase=8
	256
	400
	quit

	# bc
	bc 1.06
	Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
	This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
	For details type `warranty'.
	ibase=16
	100
	256
	ibase=8
	256
	174
	quit

  Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
 will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding