How to preserve users in new install?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 2 00:49:42 UTC 2004

John L. Pierce wrote:
> Someone should also direct this user to setup separate partitions on the
> physical disc(s) so that in the future preserving user data will be much
> easier.
>
> Then when doing a new install the user can just omit formatting the
> /home, /etc and other necessary directories.

Interesting.

Have you managed to get /etc on a different partition to /? Presumably
you'd need to put a lot of configuration in an initrd to get it working.

I had assumed that there was enough configuration stored in /etc that it
would be needed at early bootup, so it effectively had to be on the root
partition.

James.

--
E-mail address: james@ | grasshopotomaus:
westexe.demon.co.uk    | A creature that can leap to tremendous heights...