Gpilotd and synaptics touchpad kernel questions

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 2 01:07:59 UTC 2004

lwj wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 00:15, Mauri Sahlberg wrote:
>

>>Hello list,
>>
>>I had working and still have, if I boot to Knoppix or to XP, Synaptics
>>touchpad but I have not managed to get it work under kernel 2.6.5
>>Neither Mandrake 10 or FC 2 recognized it's existence during
>>installation nor does recompilation of kernel with CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y
>>help. The pad remains undetected and non functional. Of course synpatics
>>driver does not load as it is unable to detect the pad
>>(CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV is a default for FC-kernel). Do you think that
>>downloading 2.6.6 kernel source and compiling it would help to get it
>>work? It takes foreever to compile kernel and the space is very tight.
>>

>You need to install a driver to get the Synaptics touchpad to work. A
>link to one or more sites is available in the list archives. I don't
>remember the link.

For a few laptop types with the synaptics touchpad, adding something
like the below to the kernel allows the mouse to work. (Scrolling and tap).
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.406 ro root=LABEL=/  acpi=on psmouse.proto=imps

I believe that if psaux is compiled into the kernel, you would have to
edit the xorg.conf to "/dev/psaux" instead of "/dev/input/mice". This is
a guess.

I dropped down to the 2.4 kernel because with the 2.6.x kernel, there
are elevated temperatures to 80 degrees C. My laptop runs at around 45 C
with the 2.4 kernel version. Synaptics works great though.

Good luck getting the synaptics running.

Jim