FC2 and OO.org Printer Admin

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed Jun 2 04:52:09 UTC 2004

It would appear that on Jun 1, Marc Schwartz did say:

> Hi all,
>
> I searched the archives and did not find an answer to this particular
> question regarding printer admin with OpenOffice.org.
>
> I did find comments regarding the FC2 release notes and have read those
> but only noted comments regarding fonts.
>
> Under FC1 and prior RH releases, there was either the spadmin or
> oopadmin applications to setup printers, etc.
>
> Under FC2, it would appear that there is some 'tighter' integration of
> OO.org and CUPS with respect to printer admin, which is great. I was
> able to add a PPD file for my Oki 7400n color laser using
> system-config-printer-gui, which is a also great addition. This removes
> the need to admin the printers via the CUPS browser interface.
>

> Two questions:
>
> 1. If I attempt to modify the printer settings from the OO.org printer
> settings dialog box, nothing happens. Is this correct behavior? Do I
> need to go into the system-config-printer-gui when I want to modify
> printer settings such as paper source, page size, paper type/weight,
> etc.?
>
> 2. Under FC1, there was an option using oopadmin, to set up a PDF
> Converter using various drivers, including distiller. The advantage of
> this approach versus the Export to PDF feature, is that the latter does
> not properly print embedded EPS files in PDF documents, etc. The PDF
> Converter option does correctly do this, eliminating the need to print
> to a PS file and then use ps2pdf for the conversion. How does one set up
> the PDF Converter printer type for OO.org under FC2?
>
> Thanks for any hints and/or pointers to documentation.
>
> Marc Schwartz

 Thank You! for bringing this up Marc, I haven't had time (yet) to pursue
 this very far yet, it's in my todo list, about three items down from the
 top... (yesterday it was only two items down... Priorities su^H^H vacuum.)
 But I'll tell you what I've found so far...

 Note in my FC1 ~/.openoffice dir the link was named spadmin not
 oopadmin...

 I too miss spadmin's pdf converter set up as it let me specify the
 output directory. I also used spadmin to set up a fax send printer,
 which not only eliminated the assorted file conversions and file
 cleanup tasks involved with using the fax send script at the command
 line, but when I sent faxes with it the recipients told me the output
 pages were clearer.

 I used the anaconda upgrade FC1 --> FC2 method of getting FC2 so the
 spadmin link was still there. along with one for setup and an office
 start link named soffice,of  which ls -l shows:

 setup   -> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/setup*
 soffice -> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice*
 spadmin -> /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice*

Evidentially /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice used basename to
determine what mode to run in. The problem was that in
/usr/lib/openoffice there was no longer a program directory.
But I quickly found where they put the new version and from
/usr/lib/openoffice did a (root) command:
# ln -s /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program program
Which fixed the broken link paths in my user ~/.openoffice dir
That is the setup & soffice links worked as they were supposed to.
the spadmin "link" worked, but /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/soffice parsed
the basename and returned:

./spadmin: line 239: /usr/lib/openoffice/program/spadmin.bin: No such file or directory
./spadmin: line 239: exec: /usr/lib/openoffice/program/spadmin.bin: cannot execute: No such file or directory

I checked, /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/*.bin included only:

pkgchk.bin  pluginapp.bin  setup.bin  soffice.bin

No spadmin.bin nor oopadmin.bin in sight {sigh}

This is especially irritating because when I search the help in the new
OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 for the pdf and fax setups, both instructions STILL
say to use spadmin...

Since the oo111 help instructions still say to use spadmin I think the
spadmin.bin is supposed to be there. ( I wonder if it would work to copy
the spadmin.bin from my backup FC1 installation... I mean, what can it
hurt? With the tighter cups integration I suppose I might break
ooffice's ability to print at all?  But since it would be only a user
process It would at worst only break it for that user, right? (in which case
a user ~/.openoffice/setup (uninstall) followed by a user call to ooffice
which should at that point trigger the user installation process...)Worth
a try. If/when I get the time to try it (maybe next weekend) I'll let you
know how it turned out...

- --
|				      ---   ---
|     Joe (theWordy) Philbrook	      <o>   <o>
|	   J(tWdy)P			  ^
|	<<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>		/---\	"bla bla bla..."
|					\___/	"...and bla..."

   At least I know my mouth is running, I just can't find the off button!

Connecting a PostScript to PDF Converter
If a PostScript to PDF converter such as Ghostscript or Adobe Acrobat
Distiller is installed on your computer, you can quickly create PDF
documents in the OpenOffice.org software.

1.In spadmin, click New Printer. This opens the Add Printer dialog.

2.Select Connect a PDF converter. Click Next.
Choose whether to use the default driver, the Acrobat Distiller driver or
another driver. The driver "Generic Printer (T42 enabled)" prefers the
type 42 fonts over type 3 fonts; this driver is a good choice for output
to a software PostScript interpreter. Click Next.

3.In the next dialog, enter a command line for the PostScript->PDF
Converter. Enter the directory where the PDF files should be saved. If
you do not provide a directory, the user's home directory will be used.
In the command line "(TMP)" is replaced by a temporary file and
"(OUTFILE)" by the target file, the name of which is created from the
document name. If "(TMP)" occurs in the command line, the Postscript code
is forwarded in a file, otherwise as earch path, you can use one of the
predefined command lines. Click Next.

4.Assign a name to your new PDF converter. Click Finish

Using Fax Functionality
If you have installed a fax package such as Efax or HylaFax on your
computer, you can send faxes with the OpenOffice.org software.

1.Go to the {installpath}/program directory.

2.Enter: ./spadmin

3.Click New Printer. This opens the Add Printer dialog.

4.Select Connect a fax device. Click Next.

5.Choose whether to use the default driver or another printer driver. If
you are not using the default driver, select the appropriate driver.
Click Next.

6.Enter a command line with which to communicate with the fax in the
following dialog. In the command line of each fax sent "(TMP)" is
replaced by a temporary file and "(PHONE)" by the telephone number of the
recipient fax machine. If "(TMP)" occurs in the command line, the
PostScript code is transmitted in a file, otherwise as standard input
through a pipe. Click Next.

7.Assign a name to your new fax printer and determine whether the
telephone numbers (see below) marked in the text should be removed from
the printout, or not. Click Finish.

   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/  #