Samba problems

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Wed Jun 2 08:21:37 UTC 2004

Olaf Eichhorn, Vermessungsbüro Pfeifer wrote/ha scritto, On/il
02/06/2004 09:42:

> Hi Antonio
>
> I had the same problem on our Server. The solution is *not* to use the
> samba configuration tool from fedora. Use swat instead.
> (http://servername:901 in your favourite browser)
> I believe the tool from RH has problems to set the server role
> accuratly. You can safely use the tool to set up the samba users. It
> worked for me, but please don't touch the "server role" ;-)
>
> I hope it helps
>
> Olaf

Tnx Olaf

What do you mean by teh Samba configuration tool from Fedora???
I have two network (at home and office) that are very similar, apart
that the Samba machine at office was upgraded from RH8 to Fedora while
at home I did a fresh install.
I didn't use any tool, I prepared a samba.conf file at home, I installed
Webmin, I set user  etc... and it did work immediately at home.I copied
the samba.conf file to the office machine, I set user and so on by
Webmin and I suffer from this small bug (maybe my fault..., or I guess
some funny thing happening when a particular XP machine is working on
the network, that I can't replicate home because it is not a laptop
machine.But when the network is operating and
And my suspects are on the Gates' S.O.!!!!

And if I issue the same command at home....
 smbclient -L localhost -N
Domain=[FEDORA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.2-7.FC1]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        homes          Disk      Home Directories
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        epson          Printer   epson
        antonio        Disk      Home Directories
Domain=[FEDORA] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.2-7.FC1]

        Server               Comment

        Workgroup            Master
        WORKGROUP            FEDORA

As you can see a known name (Fedora, the name of my machine is Master in
workgroup, while at office is blank!!!! Why???)

Tnx for help

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla 1.6 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 1