FC2 hangs after login

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 2 11:40:10 UTC 2004

Roger Grosswiler wrote:

>I have an older laptop p2/300 mhz with FC2 installed. All works fine if you are a little bit patient :-)
>
>This laptop authenticates as all others a) locally via pam or b) via smb to my samba-server. This is no problem on the
>newer laptop an WAS no problem...until...i do not know. There was a day, i could login, but FC2 blocked on its splash
>screen. I had no other choice than remove the battery and restart. The only help i can get is booting into runlevel 1
>and exiting. Then it works.
>
>My logs do not show anything special at all. What workaround would you tell me to do, if i do not like reinstalling
>this granny?? Has already had this somebody else too?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Roger

Since you can boot successfully into runlevel 1, it is probably some
service loaded in runlevel 3 or 5. Kudzu has caused problems for me
recently related to a USB device hanging. Others have had hangs during
boot related to firewire and kudzu interaction.

You might  have luck disabling kudzu when in runlevel 1 by typing the below:
chkconfig --level 3 kudzu off
to prevent kudzu locking up the machine on boot.
I think that "chkconfig kudzu off" might work from reading the lists
should not load kudzu also.

If another service starting up is causing the lockup, it should be
possible to disable it until the problem with the service is resolved.

Jim