only critical packages in minimal installation

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jun 2 17:19:27 UTC 2004

At 07:38 5/28/2004, William Hooper wrote:
>Michael said:
>
> > This is pretty high on my b**** list. Couldn't we see some work done on
> > creating a real minimal install?
>
>Sure, get to work.
>
>http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2003-August/msg01114.html

About 15 of us already did: please see the archives of the "fedora-minimal"
list on my server at simpaticus.com.

You can also see a brief description of the results in the initial sections
of my alpha-stage "Small Netserver HOWTO" document [1], which I can never
seem to get quite finished. The short version of the story is that we
managed to knock down FC1 to about 385MB of disk space without losing *any*
real functionality. Text mode only, of course. If we had access to some
choices like leaving the documentation out of many packages, we could
probably get close to 300MB.

The fedora-minimal list has almost zero traffic, but there are still about
20 people subscribed to it and more are welcome. We're always happy to
continue working on this issue as well as to reactivate it for FC2 which
seems to take up slightly more space.

[1] See http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

Cheers,

--