Grub Reinstall Problem!!!

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Wed Jun 2 18:12:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 14:32 -0400, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> The script don't work for me... but:
> # grub
> grub> root (hd1,3)
> grub> setup (hd0)
> grub> setup (fd0)
>
> did!
>
> About the script, I scanned it with f-prot, looked it over and while
> some
> of it is beyond my scripting skills, I could see that the only
> dangerous
> commands (rm -rf) were pointed at /tmp/something...
>
> So I saved it, moved it to /root/bin [chown & chmod] and attempted to
> get it to work...
>
> [root at localhost bin]# ls -l mkgrubmenu
> - -rwx------  1 root jtwdyp 2442 Jun  1 13:17 mkgrubmenu
> [root at localhost bin]# ./mkgrubmenu -v --device /dev/fd0
> : bad interpreter: No such file or directory
> [root at localhost bin]# . mkgrubmenu -v --device /dev/fd0
> : command not found
> ': not a valid identifier
> : command not found
> ': not a valid identifier
> : command not found
> : command not found
> 'bash: mkgrubmenu: line 19: syntax error near unexpected token `{
> 'bash: mkgrubmenu: line 19: `usage () {
> [root at localhost bin]#

Odd - just cut/pasted your command line to check - I usually just run
mkgrubmenu with no arguments.  Works fine either way for me.  Did you
perhaps "su" rather than "su -" or log in on a VC to become root?  Just
using su does not give root's paths such as /sbin and /usr/sbin, rather
just inherits the user's environment.  Glad the interactive stuff
worked.

Phil