Re :Re: Zip files to multiple floppies

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:16:14 -0400, Phil Schaffner <P R Schaffner IEEE org> wrote:

On Mon, 2004-05-31 at 12:20 +0530, Parameshwara Bhat wrote:
Hello List,

Here is an archive file whixh is bigger than a floppy size. How do I make
it span floppies in the manner of Winzip?

Haven't used this for years, but should still work:

# man tar
... snip ...
       -M, --multi-volume
              create/list/extract multi-volume archive

So, should go something like:

# tar Mcf /dev/fd0 <files_to_archive>

I went through the tar-info manual.I suppose it is very close to what I need.It might do the compression as well if not passing through the compression utility,craete a compressed file from archivable files and a create an archive of this single compressed file.If it has created a spanned archive it will extract from them too and the described feature certainy overtakes Winzip.

But I have a great worry of this mount / unmount stuff (Konqueror has troubled me a lot).I only want to know whether tar is able to access the floppy device raw ( without mount / unmount cycle ).I do not know enough.

Additionally ( a little off track ?) I must think creators of Konquerors and Nautilus'es very [KDE , GNOME]unimaginative.Why don't they write a nice GUI to these advanced abilities of various linux utilities. E.g., I use d4x for downloading.but I greatly deplore it's inability to import a broken download,which wget does so nicely.I had halfdownloaded Knoppix,and when I installed Linux,used wget to finish it through symlink across ext3 to vfat.Basically I miss nice GUIs here in Linux.But guys are nice making up for GUIs.

Parameshwara Bhat