Fedora Core 2 - review.

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Jun 2 21:36:57 UTC 2004

At 02:30 5/24/2004, Sean Estabrooks wrote:
>On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:14:03 +0100
>CHAPMAN - Ian Paul <i.p.chapman at tees.ac.uk> wrote:
> > I don't want to use Windows but I still NEED a
> > program capable of viewing word documents through no choice of my own.

So use either OpenOffice (Free and gratis) or Sun StarOffice (non-Free and
$80). I personally use StarOffice 7, also used 6.0, and love them. Read and
write MS Office file formats extremely well; not perfectly, but close! But
their native file formats are heaven: compressed XML that can be read,
written, and edited by anything under the sun, and usually are 1/2 to 2/3
the size of the same document in DOC format. And it is my understanding
that OpenOffice has moved forward quite well and also provides good MS
Office compatibility.

There you go: a definite way to move to Linux and reduce the cost and
instability of Windows while maintaining compatibility with the outside
world *and* getting some very real benefits in the process. The "Save to
PDF" function alone is a godsend.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz