openldap - force simple auth?

When using ldapadd from the command line, I can force it to use the rootpw entry in the slapd.conf by using the -x switch.

I'd like to manage my directory using phpldapadmin (http://phpldapadmin.sf.net), but I'm unable to authenticate because of the dreaded error:

SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database

I don't feel the need to run SASL just for the tiny little directory I'll be running - an address book for my home LAN that I share with my wife. Any way to force the slapd to use simple auth by default?

--j