openldap - force simple auth?

Jason Costomiris jcostom at jasons.org
Wed Jun 2 22:06:22 UTC 2004

When using ldapadd from the command line, I can force it to use the
rootpw entry in the slapd.conf by using the -x switch.

I'd like to manage my directory using phpldapadmin
(http://phpldapadmin.sf.net), but I'm unable to authenticate because of
the dreaded error:

SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Internal (implementation specific) error
(80)
         additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in
database

I don't feel the need to run SASL just for the tiny little directory
I'll be running - an address book for my home LAN that I share with my
wife.  Any way to force the slapd to use simple auth by default?

--j