openldap - force simple auth?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jun 2 22:09:35 UTC 2004

Jason Costomiris wrote:
> When using ldapadd from the command line, I can force it to use the
> rootpw entry in the slapd.conf by using the -x switch.

No, the "-x" tells the system to use "simple" authentication.  By
default, the system attempts to connect via SASL.

> I'd like to manage my directory using phpldapadmin
> (http://phpldapadmin.sf.net), but I'm unable to authenticate because of
> the dreaded error:
>
> SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Internal (implementation specific) error (80)
>         additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: no secret in database
>
> I don't feel the need to run SASL just for the tiny little directory
> I'll be running - an address book for my home LAN that I share with my
> wife.  Any way to force the slapd to use simple auth by default?

It's not slapd that's the cause, it's the LDAP client.  You have to
change the PHP code to use "ldap_simple_bind()" rather than
"ldap_sasl_bind()".  Or convince the authors to make it a configuration
option.
-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -