[FC2] Making added modules permanent

Aaron Gaudio prothonotar at tarnation.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 3 01:11:12 UTC 2004

Behold, activecs <activecs at bigpond.com> hath decreed:
> When a module such as "pcspkr" is installed using modprobe, how do I
> make it permanent. I notice modules.conf seems to be replaced by
> modprobe.conf if that makes any difference.
> DP
> PS I previously inadvertently sent this using a wrong email address. Apologies if it turns up twice.

You mean how do you make it so the module gets loaded automatically
when you reboot? The best way is probably add it to /etc/rc.modules
(create the file if it doesn't exist):

modprobe -qn pcspkr && action $"Loading PC Speaker module: " modprobe pcspkr

You could also do something more elaborate like tie the loading of the
pcspkir module to the loading of other sound modules that get auto-loaded
already, using the 'install' command in modprobe.conf, explained in
the modprobe.conf man page.