FC1/FC2 or RedHat9

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Jun 3 03:18:43 UTC 2004

Phil Schaffner wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 20:51 -0400, Nick David wrote:
>

>>Dudley F. Cañas wrote:
>>

>>>Im not sure if its the right question but I would just like to ask
>>>what would be best for laptop as of the moment  Fedora Project 1/2 or
>>>I'll go with stable RedHat 9
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>=====================================================================
>>>Information Systems Division
>>>Norkis Distributors Inc.
>>>Mandaue City, Cebu, Philippines (63-32)3464050
>>>
>>>Registered Linux User # 279330
>>>Yahoo Messenger ID : dudleycanas
>>>=====================================================================
>>>

>>Use FC2 redhat 9 isnt even supported anymore.
>>

>Well, there's Fedora Legacy (http://www.fedoralegacy.org/) if they can
>get/keep their act together.
>
>Have been some problems with FC2 on some laptops, for that matter FC1
>and RH9/RHx.y, so it depends...  Back it up and try FC2.  If that
>doesn't work give FC1 or RH9 a shot.
>
>If stability is really important to you, and depending on the depth of
>your pockets, there's RHEL, Red Hat Professional Workstation
>(http://www.redhat.com/software/workstation/), or one of the RHEL
>rebuilds/derivatives like WBEL (http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/),
>cAos/CentOS (http://caosity.org/), or Tao Linux (http://taolinux.org/).
>Beyond that, of course, we get into all-the-others - and I'm already
>probably out-of-bounds for fedora-list, so won't get into religious
>issues. ;^)
>
>Good luck,
>Phil

If you have never installed Linux on a laptop before, you need to know
that you will have "issues" that will need to be and can be worked out
with RH9, or FC1 or FC2 -- I've taken that path (RH9>FC1>FC2) and while
RH9 was in many ways comfy, I wouldn't go back.  USB support is
definitely better in FC2.  The biggest thing about the jump to FC2 has
been related to the 2.4 to 2.6 kernel jump -- various things are done
differently and for the most part better.

Greg Pittman