Sound or lack of it

Hi,
    I have never had sound on FC2 and always thought it was an
Alsa/KDE problem but today I had to reinstall,so I took particular
note.At firstboot the card (SB Audigy emu10k1) was detected and
sound was heard,on my login to KDE the first thing I did was to
Kmenu -> system settings -> soundcard detection and there was no
sound.
 Now I don't know what happens between those two events but it's
in there that my problem lies.Can someone help.

david