FC2 samba password...

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Thu Jun 3 09:06:36 UTC 2004

MG wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I setup the samba 3.0.3-5 in FC2. It is running, but the users cannot browse
> the share, because it ask the password.
> I remove the nobody from smbpasswd and I restart samba, then okay!
> But then samba rewrite nobody to smbpasswd. Why?
> Or why does it ask the password?
> It is bug?
>
> My smb.conf is:
> [global]
>         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>         server string = SAMBA
>         password server = None
>         security = share
>         guest ok = yes
>         workgroup = group
>         client code page = 852
>         character set = ISO8859-2
>
>         hosts allow = 192.168.21.
>         public = yes
>         browseable = yes
>
> [Install]
>         comment = Install
>         path = /mnt/hda4/Install
>         public = yes
>         guest ok = yes
>         browseable = yes
> # ----------------------------------
>

> My smbusers is:
> root = administrator admin
> nobody = guest pcguest smbguest
> # ----------------------------------
>
> Bye!
> Gabor

search in bugzilla. although there hasn't been feedback on this, it
seems to be a bug. try to access your share directly
//servername/Install. it should be able to access directly. but going
through the server first via //servername, it's the only time it will
ask for a password. i have the same setup on my laptop. hopefully it's
fixed soon, as it always worked without problems on FC1. of note is to
check the samba.org bug list. there seems to be a bug in 3.0.3 with
regards to security=share setting. it's been fixed in 3.0.4, but i have
no idea if it's the same bug.

so basically, just try to access the share directly. works here.

dex