Mozilla gif rendering utilizes 100% cpu?

Øyvind Stegard oyvinst at ifi.uio.no
Thu Jun 3 11:49:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 12:53:49AM -0700, Vibol Hou wrote:
> Does anyone have this particular page slowing their system down to a
> crawl in Mozilla?  I tried the same page in Opera and it works fine.
> System isn't choppy.
>
> http://www.khmer.cc/community/t.c?b=12&t=17104
>
> It's work-safe, just a bunch of animated gifs of science stuff.
Mozilla memory usage climbs rapidly to about 300MB RES (600-700MB VIRT)
to display this page (after it has finished loading).  This causes
swapping (if you aren't blessed with huge amounts of RAM). Swapping
causes headaches. I won't say the page is handled very efficiently, with
regard to memory usage, but hey, we're talking about Mozilla here. Buy
some more RAM and label the chips with "Reserved for Mozilla", then
insert onto mainboard. See if problem goes away.

 --
< Øyvind Stegard <oyvinst at ifi.uio.no>
 < University of Oslo, Dept. of informatics