Help: Install on AMD 64 creates display wash

Rory Gleeson rory at childwelfare.ca
Wed Jun 2 21:03:56 UTC 2004

 >Were you able to see if running lower resolutions or running startx
 >from runlevel 3 helped?
 >
 >KAS

Yes, I followed Jim's steps, ran from level 3 typed "startx" when I got
to a login prompt... and I got the screen in a wash of colour again. Drat!!

I don't know how to change the screen resolution from Grub, which was
the other suggestion.

Is your suspicion that this is a ATI Radion 9200se problem or
motherboard K8Vse Deluxe problem?

Other distros I was having problems with seem to been getting caught up
on a usb line.  So, when I disabled USB Legacy Support in bios, that
cleared up those problems.  But, this is the only distro that I'm
getting this graphics issue, which sucks, since this is the only distro
I actually want to use, which I reaffirmed last night after loading
Mandrake 10 Official and discovering how much I actually missed Fedora.

As an aside, because the ethernet card is built in to the motherboard
and is sometimes not recognized, what's the workaround for distros like
Debian and SuSE ftp that do a net install, which is my other main
install issue?  Is it to simply plug in another ethernet card to the
motherboard and that will be recognized?

In any case, my priority now is nailing down this Fedora graphics issue
and, at minimum, and at least establishing if it's a graphics or
motherboard issue.

I must say, I've had problems of some sort with every distro with this
new AMD64 and K8V combo.  Perhaps I should have gone with my second
choice? The Intel P4 3.0 FSB800 & ASUS P4O800 Deluxe motherboard?

Thanks.
Rory