Wireless Dlink USB on Fedora Core 2

Gaffey, Mike MGaffey at fastekintl.com
Thu Jun 3 14:00:38 UTC 2004

Thanks for the response ... the instructions at linux-wlan-ng are what is
giving me trouble.  I don't understand them.

     can be tricky.  I always run against kernels I've built myself, so I'm
     not much help in this area.
   - The good David Leffler identified that if you are having difficulty
     with *_netlink_* symbols, you may have a problem with 'make clean' in
     the kernel tree.  Do a 'make mrproper' followed by 'make config'
     and the rest of the kernel build process.  'make mrproper' does
     a more thorough cleaning of the kernel tree.  For more info, look
     for David's comments in the linux-wlan-user mailing list.
   - If you are building a driver for a PCMCIA card, you will also need
     the configured PCMCIA source code for the pcmcia_cs subsystem you
     are currently running.
**********************

I didn't build my own kernel, I don't know what the "resulting tree after
building" is, and I am assuming "previously existing kernel binary" would be
the kernel src RPM that is avail for download on the Fedora site???  When he
says "Configured means that you have at least run make config, make
menuconfig, or make xconfig" ... does that mean you would have to run all of
those or one of those because he does say "or" ... and if that is the "at
least" what would be "at most"?   I am willing to learn how to build my own
kernel, but I'm assuming if I go get a kernel from http://www.kernel.org
<http://www.kernel.org/>  then I would need to know all the "stuff" fedora
puts in the kernel in order to get my system to at least work like it does
now before I even try to get my wireless card working ... like I said I'm
pretty new to much of this stuff and I find it hard to believe that I would
have to essentially change the entire "guts" of the OS just to get a
wireless card working.

I've found a number of places where people have provided "instructions" like
the ones at the wlan-ng site, but most of them are like the above where it
assumes I know a lot more than I do.  If someone could dumb it down for me a
little or tell me that it really is as complicated as building a brand new
kernel from scratch and point me toward good info for learning how to do
that ... or both ... I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!!

> First, thanks for the help w/ my dual boot problem ...
> working great now!

> I'm trying to figure out how to get a dlink DWL-122
> USB installed.  I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the
> information available.

I have the same h/w and I have it working w/o problems
(with WEP) on FC1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2115. Getting it work
on FC1 is quite easy. Just follow the readme file in
wlan-ng sources and it should work.

I tried to compile the linux-wlan-ng driver for FC2 and
it doesn't compile. IIRC the readme in the wlan-ng sources
also mentions that support for 2.6 series kernel is spotty.

Regards/Kedar.