openldap - force simple auth?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jun 3 17:49:44 UTC 2004

Jason Costomiris wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2004, at 9:34 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Yes, and PHP wants the server to accept LDAP V2.  Make sure you have the
>> "allow bind_v2" in your slapd.conf file.  Restart slapd if you have to
>> alter that file.
>

> Yes, I've got that.  In fact, that's how it came out of the box..
>
> Still no joy..

Well, as I said, the "-x" is specific to the LDAP utilities such as
ldapmodify.  The LDAP library has both ldap_simple_bind() and
ldap_sasl_bind().  I looked at the PHP site and you're right, all they
offer is ldap_bind().

In my code, I do the ldap_connect() using just a hostname and a port--
I don't use a URL.  My bind is done with a regular username and
cleartext password and it works.  Now, note that this is against a
Netscape LDAP server.  I'm replacing it with an OpenLDAP server and
no testing has been done yet.  I'll keep a note to let you know what
I discover.
-        Brain:  The organ with which we think that we think.        -