RPM Database Problems

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Thu Jun 3 19:56:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:26:46 -0500 (CDT), Tony Perrie wrote:

> I managed to axe my rpm database while attempting to fix my segmentation
> fault problems yesterday.  Essentially, rpm -qa is now coming up blank,
> rpm --rebuilddb nor rpm --initdb doesn't seem to fix anything.  Anything
> else?  I tried re-installing the rpms for rpm-* and rpmdb-, but to no
> avail.  Any suggestions?

Sounds as if you've deleted RPM database files in /var/lib/rpm.

No backups available at all?

Save a copy of /var/log/rpmpkgs in safe place as soon as possible. It
lists all packages that were found in your RPM database the last
night. You could try to reconstruct your RPM database with the help of
that file. With a bit of scripting and reading the RPM manual, you could
re-install all those packages into the database (hints: options --justdb
--noscripts --notriggers as a minimum). Have fun!