sound problems in FC2

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Thu Jun 3 21:00:04 UTC 2004

I'm having a devil of a time getting the system to load in X windows
from a user account. It appears to be associated with the Esound system.
After typing startx the system stops at the gnome startup window. When I
do a ctl-alt-f1 to get to console mode I see a series of Messages saying
"audio_alsa: no cards found". This is followed by the message "Esound
failed to start". This is apparently enough to cause gnome not to start.
I know sound is detected because I see startup sound messages when I
start the system. (sound card snd_ens1371). I also can play a .wav file
using the play command and the sound is heard. I checked
/var/log/messages for any error messages related to sound and there was
none. In frustration I logged out and then logged in as root. I typed
startx and low and behold gnome starts and I can hear system event
sounds and use xmms to play .wav files. Why am I getting these messages
as a user (rmiles)? I know it has to to with esd because if I type esd
at the console I get the "audio_alsa: no cards found message. If I sudo
esd it starts and no error message occurs. I hate to have to use root to
use X windows. Can anybody help me resolve these problems?
Thanks

--
Richard Miles
Federal Way, WA