sound problems in FC2

I'm having a devil of a time getting the system to load in X windows from a user account. It appears to be associated with the Esound system. After typing startx the system stops at the gnome startup window. When I do a ctl-alt-f1 to get to console mode I see a series of Messages saying "audio_alsa: no cards found". This is followed by the message "Esound failed to start". This is apparently enough to cause gnome not to start. I know sound is detected because I see startup sound messages when I start the system. (sound card snd_ens1371). I also can play a .wav file using the play command and the sound is heard. I checked /var/log/messages for any error messages related to sound and there was none. In frustration I logged out and then logged in as root. I typed startx and low and behold gnome starts and I can hear system event sounds and use xmms to play .wav files. Why am I getting these messages as a user (rmiles)? I know it has to to with esd because if I type esd at the console I get the "audio_alsa: no cards found message. If I sudo esd it starts and no error message occurs. I hate to have to use root to use X windows. Can anybody help me resolve these problems?
Thanks

--
Richard Miles
Federal Way, WA