Vaio 550ve CD-ROM issue

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jun 3 22:13:38 UTC 2004

Well, I finally got Fedora Core 2 installed on this little Vaio.  Almost
the most painful install on this little beast yet.  (One install aborted
about 3/4 of the way through.  Not to mention the 12+gig I had to backup
over a slow network...)

When I try and use the PCMCIA CD-ROM, I get the following errors on the
syslog:

Jun  3 23:46:44 localhost cardmgr[1460]: socket 0: Ninja ATA
Jun  3 23:46:45 localhost cardmgr[1460]: get dev info on socket 0 failed:
No such device
Jun  3 23:46:45 localhost kernel: ide-cs: GetNextTuple: No more items

The cd-rom drive does not come up.

I remember having to do the similar command line hack to get the drive
working for Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 1.

The "pci=off ide1=0x180,0x386" was not needed for Redhat 7.2 or 7.3.
Anything before Redhat 8 never needed the pci=off for the cd-rom drive to
work.  (Most of the time all you needed was "ide1=0x180".)  I have used
this laptop with about every version of Redhat since about 6.0 or so.

I can go back and test which work and which do not sometime this weekend.
(It just takes time and the "big book of Linux install discs".)

I will also test to see if the port expanded still cores the system.

BTW, the change in working v.s. non-working seemed to be just after
kernel version 2.4.18 or so.