Help to make bootdisk with rescure CD in FC2

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Jun 4 00:02:23 UTC 2004

P.Agenbag wrote:
> HI
> My system fails to install completely, and seems to stop short of
> installing abootloader.
>
> I downloaded a rescue CD which is actually meant for FC1 x86 as there
> does not seem to be any x86_64 rescue images?
>
> I manage to boot into system and the rescue disk can mount my system
> under /mnt/sysimage. All seems to be there, except that it won't boot.
>
> I need help to make a boot cd/floppy / repair/install a bootloader from
> here.
>
> Thanks

There is a rescue CD for FC2. I don't know much about the 64 bit
machines. Do they both use the same type of boot loader?

If they do use the same type of boot loader. You should be able to boot
with the rescue disk. Then you would want to issue the below command.
chroot /mnt/sysimage

This should give you the working environment of your installed system.
Once you chrooted the system, you should have the regular directory
structure and you should be able to run grub-install (wherever you
prefer to install grub at)

You might want to type the below to see if you have a proper grub.conf file.
cat /etc/grub.conf

If all looks alright with the grub.conf file, you should be alright with
issuing something like the below command to install the boot loader.
grub-install /dev/hda (for MBR install) or grub-install /dev/hda1 (for
installing into the first partition of the drive.

Your problem might be related to you BIOS and what hard disk it tries to
boot from. It might try to boot from a drive that Linux didn't install
the boot loader onto.

I'm not sure if you have SATA disks, scsi disks or IDE disks. I seem to
recall some conversations regarding X86_64 and SATA drives. Since I
don't own any 64 bit machines yet, I did not pay a lot of attention to
the details of the problem.

After you chroot your system, it might help to run fdisk -l to see what
your drives were setup as.

Check the archives for the fedora-test-list. There was a lot of 64 bit
conversations there in the past.

Good luck and I hope this at least leads you to the solution. I think
boot floppies (1.4 MB) are impossible with the 2.5 kernel.

Jim

--
If I can have honesty, it's easier to overlook mistakes.
		-- Kirk, "Space Seed", stardate 3141.9