Ugly, ugly fonts in X apps after upgrade to FC2 [Was: Re: core 2 test 2 : fonts ]

Vladimir G. Ivanovic vladimir at acm.org
Fri Jun 4 00:57:17 UTC 2004

>>>>> "bg" == brian gaynor <briang at pmccorp.com> writes:

    bg> On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 11:25, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

       vgi> I have the same problem on the released version of FC2. Xterm and
       vgi> especially XEmacs have leading and size problems, and are
       vgi> especially thin.

    bg> I have seen similar behavior using "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono" for the
    bg> xterm font, changing the font size helped (9pt ==> 8pt). I am using the
    bg> default "nv" driver on a Dell Inspiron 8100, in the past font problems
    bg> seemed to go away when I switched to the "nvidia" proprietary driver.
    bg> Not a big issue for me, so I will wait for the official NVidia release.

Unfortunately, changing the default font sizes in XEmacs hasn't helped.
There seems to be a big jump between the size I'm using (7pt) and the
next smaller size (6pt). This combination displayed just fine with RH9
and FC1.

Here is the command line I'm using which gives the ugly results in FC2:

   xterm -fn "-*-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-normal-*-*-70-*-*-m-*-iso8859-15"

but this works fine (it's even nicely anti-aliased):

   gnome-terminal

(GNOME Terminal's default profile specifies Bitstream Vera Sans Mono 7).

I get similar results with XEmacs.

What do others see when they invoke xterm with a Bitstream Vera Sans
Mono font?

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir at acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014