Hardrive clicking / Kernel issue or daemon ?

vejmarie at numericable.fr vejmarie at numericable.fr
Fri Jun 4 02:13:13 UTC 2004

You are right this is a laptop drive I can't really help him to get cooler
except leaving florida !
Basically what I do have observed as well is that with standard kernel from FC2,
I do not have this issue which is basically coming from the fact that the
processor is locked to running at 800 Mhz ( my BIOS do not support PST
structure required by the standard powernow-k8 kernel module ). I do have had
to patch the kernel to allow the processor running at 1.8 Ghz, and the hard
drive issue appears only in that case.

I am now wondering if the patch applied to use ACPI rather than PST structure is
not breaking processor fan and internal fan usage of the system which could
increase the overall temperature of the system. I basically do have to check
for that. Any idea on that point will be great, I do have to co tact as well
the maintainer of the powernow-k8 kernel module ...

Jean-Marie