FC1 INIT RC fails to complete all the way to login

Mike Wood mike.wood at ordersmart.com
Fri Jun 4 03:46:46 UTC 2004

At first I thought this was the 2115 SMP kernel problem everyone was having
with dual Xeons. Even if I use the uniprocessor kernel the RC process never
seems to complete. I am running on a Dell PE2650.

What happens is it gets as far as rc3.d/S97messagebus which starts the
message bus with an [OK] but then sits there after this never to return to a
getty. CR echos a new line but the login never appears. I can log in through
the other terminals (F2-F6) and the system appears to be fine though. Even
the touched files in /var/lock/subsys look like all the init scripts ran -
even S97rhns and S99local.

Any ideas? My other FC1 machines complete RC3 or RC5 just fine!

Thanks,
Mike.