only critical packages in minimal installation

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Jun 4 10:44:41 UTC 2004

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, M. Fioretti wrote:
>   [...]
> Of course, this doesn't address the RAM/CPU issue, but it does help
> substantially with the disk space issue.  My little 486 laptop does yeoman
> duty as a DSL firewall/router, and it doesn't need docs or man pages to do
> that.  It does have barely enough RAM, but recent versions of Anaconda
> don't run on many 486's.  My last upgrade was to install RH7.3 with the
> RULE installer (which worked great).

Another way to address the disk space issue is to replace non-essential
directories with symbolic links to a copies moved to an NFS server.  This
allows me to do updates in the usual way without encountering space
constraints.  The server is also used to store updates, and is not
required for normal operation.

It would be nice to be able to configure such systems (e.g., into
a tree that could be rsync'ed onto the target machine) using all the
tools available on a larger machine.  Even better would be a way to
test the new configuration with a VM configured to match the target
hardware.

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>
   Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada