Re: Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 19:58, Tim Waugh wrote:
> > So I took the question to the other side of the fence to a friend who
> > works in high upper management, who's words carries a lot of weight, for
> > a highly respected hardware manufacture, well at least for printers in
> > my book.
>
> As far as printers are concerned, the big problem is that even when
> good free drivers exist, the data on www.linuxprinting.org is often
> out of date or doesn't list as many printers as it could.
Would be great if manufacturer releases the driver under a GPL license
and works with CUPS to include it.
In a non-Windows world, they can forget about drivers and custom
applications which they ship on CD.

Printers and scanners work out of the box and applications are already
included in distributions. I look with disgust at CDs with software and
drivers included in hardware products. I paid for it and I don't need
it...

--
Marius Andreiana
Galuna - Solutii Linux in Romania