samba printing format-not-supported

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 4 11:47:11 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 02:35, Roger Grosswiler wrote:
> check your /var/log/cups/error_log if you find an entry equal to something like application/x-octet-stream or so...
>

> try this workaround:
>
> in /etc/cups:
> change in mime.types:
>
> from : #application/octet-stream
> to:    application/octet-stream
>

> change in mime.convs:
>
> from  : #application/octet-stream       application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -
> to:     application/octet-stream       application/vnd.cups-raw        0       -
>
> insert in your smb.conf at your printers section the following: (marked with -->):
>
> [printers]
>    comment = All Printers
>    path = /var/spool/samba
> -->print command = lpr -r -o raw -P %p %s
> -->lpq command = lpstat -o %p
> -->lprm command = cancel %p-%j
>    browseable = no
>    public = yes
>    guest ok = yes
>    writable = no
>    printable = yes

There was a discussion about this on the fedora-test-list a while back.
Unfortunately, I can't find it, but I think the conclusion, at least for
FC2 was to only add

cups options = raw

to the [printers] section of smb.conf.  I think it accomplishes the
highlighted items above and does not require changes to mime.convs or
mime.types.

Bob...