Re: Trouble getting ancient on-board PNP soundcard to work

Charles Curley wrote:

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 08:08:14AM +0100, Eamonn Sullivan wrote:

I have an ancient IBM Aptiva (PII 400Mhz) that nonetheless ran Red Hat
9 without problems. Fedora Core 2 installed faultlessly, except for
sound. I used to use sndconfig, which isn't available under kernel 2.6
anymore, apparently. My modules.conf used to have the following:

Have you tried system-config-soundcard?

FC2-i386-disc1.iso/Fedora/RPMS/system-config-soundcard-1.2.8-1.noarch.rpm

It failed on my Toshiba Tecra 8000, which is of comperable vintage,
but different sound card.

Yes, it says "No soundcards were detected", which is why I started googling and posted here. It's ironic because this system has to be the ultimate torture test for FC2. I've always had a dickens of a time getting everything working -- video, networking, etc. Sound, however, was never a problem once I found sndconfig. Now, everything *else* works like a dream. Sound, however, ...

The relevent section of dmesg, if that helps, is:

isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
isapnp: Card 'LT Win Modem'
isapnp: Card 'Onboard PnP Audio'
isapnp: 2 Plug & Play cards detected total