[FC2]: Why GCC versions 3.3 and 3.4?

When I noticed that FC2 includes both versions 3.3.3 and 3.4.0 of GCC, I
had a dim recollection that v3.3 wouldn't build the Linux kernel.  I
assumed that v3.4.0 was included to do the kernel build.

Looking through the make files from the FC2 kernel source package, though,
I see no references to "gcc34".  It seems that GCC v3.3.3 is used to
build the kernel after all.

So... why is it that both versions of GCC v3.x are included in FC2?

Thanks.