Re: Problem with usb cd/dvd burner

On 06/04/2004 01:51 PM, eric tanguy wrote:

I have an usb cd/dvd burner and i can't make it burning. When i boot with
the burner plugged and on the system see it as cdrom device and i can
mount it. But k3b cdrecord and cdrdao can't see it. When i boot with the
burner off and i switc it on after : i can't mount it as cdrom device but
k3b recognize it. The problem is taht only k3b recognize it but cdrecord
and cdrdao not. So i can't burn anything.
Someone have the same problem or can help me. It will make me crazy!!
Thanxes
Eric

Is this maybe the old problem I had, where kscd is running at login and grabs the CD-burner, preventing k3b's access to it? It sounds a little bit like it, but not exactly. Actually it sounds worse. But try this:

Go to a terminal and run

ps ax|grep kscd

if kscd is running, you'll get the pid and you can kill it; or you may also see the little CD icon on your panel that you can right-click on to quit. Either is fine. Try k3b again at that point.

If that works, you can permanently prevent kscd from starting automatically by removing its entry in ~/.kde/Autostart.

--Matt