usb storage and FC2

Hello,
you are certainly not the only one with usb storage problems. With my Olympus camera I am getting the same message "non valid device" with /dev/sda1. I have just updated the kernel and it has done nothing. It is completely blocked, what is more my epson perfection scanner is not even seen at boot time in the usb chat. Usbview blocks, info in Kde blocks as well. I'm stuck on this one and on the verge of graphical suicide!
John Brennnan-Sardou