Re: OpenOffice.org broken

akonstam trinity edu wrote:
On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:11:09PM +0100, Andy Wallace wrote:

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 18:59, Nadeem Bitar wrote:

I can't figure out why, but openoffice writer is completely broken it
takes a few seconds for letters to appear after you type them. That's on
a fast machine (3.2GHz, 1GB ram). The CPU and memory usage is very low
and there isn't any disk activity so I am puzzled by that.

Anyone having the same problem and is there any solution.

Between I am using OpenOffice.org 1.1.1 on Fedora Core 2.

I've just installed FC2 on my 2.8GHz PC with 1GB RAM, and I'm also having problems with OpenOffice.org.

It works, but takes about 5 minutes to start, then a further 10 minutes
to open a single-page document. Once the document is loaded, the
performance is OK, but it then takes another 5 minutes to save the file
to disk.

I just traced OO not starting (maybe I didn't wait long enough) to it hanging waiting for a printer. Try

strace oowriter

in a terminal, and see if you notice any hangups with recent 'Foomatic' messages or IP addresses in them. Those are connections to network printers.

I cleaned up my cups.conf file and this fixed things.

Also try starting krpinter, I was having the same hangups with kprinter, ultimately from the same origin.

This may help narrowing the culprit.

best,