Filesystem corruption, data loss on usb drives, and more problems with FC2

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Fri Jun 4 19:47:21 UTC 2004

Andy Green wrote:

> But looking closer at your error reports, it is reminding me of something I
> read a few weeks ago about max packet sizes, or max buffer sizes for
> different USB <-> ATA chipsets?  Some can handle 128KB, some 64KB, something
> like that.  I think it was someone's patch reducing the limit in kernel
> sources on a ml I was looking at.

Well, it seems like usb-storage still has a way to go even in Arjan's kernels.
  While things are better for some people, I can reproduce the bug with 100%
certainty.  Let's hope things improve soon.

>>Thanks for the strace tip.  It was hanging trying to connect to an
>>unresponsive network printer through cups.  I deleted this printer from the
>>cups list and that did it, but I'd argue that OO should recover more
>>gracefully from this kind of problem.
>

> Glad I was of some help.  Yeah it should be more graceful.

As I mentioned, kprinter was being a victim of the same thing.  I'm also
seeing now various problem reports about OO, so this is probably going to rise
in priority quickly.  I don't have time now to trace the problem too deep, but
I suspect it's somewhere in cups, since a config cleanup and restart of cups
'unfroze' both kprinter and OOffice.

>>>ACPI prob?  Maybe try to fiddle with ACPI=blah on kernel commandline.
>>
>>I'll try a few options and see what happens.
>

> I get the same behaviour as you on some laptops and not others here.  Makes me
> think it can be (video) BIOS or video driver related as well as ACPI.

I tried a bunch of combinations of apmd/acpi on/off and nothing helped.  For
now I give up.

In summary:

usb-storage: BROKEN, reproducible.
OpenOffice, kprinter hangs: most likely caused by cups problems.
Display power management: broken, reported by others also.

I'll definitely wait for a few weeks with this test box before even
considering putting FC2 on the rest of our machines.

Again, many thanks for all the help.

Regards,

f.