Bad passphrase with GPG and SSH

Björn Persson listor1.rombobeorn at comhem.se
Fri Jun 4 20:38:24 UTC 2004

Dionysos wrote:

> I've just install a FC2 after a long using of RH7.3.
> Before install, I made a tarball for some directories ($HOME/.gnupg and
> $HOME/.ssh) to keep my key identity and certificate.
> After the install (real install, not upgrade), I decompress the previous
> tarball.
>
> And now, I can't use neither my key id, neither ssh certificate. I was always
> returned "Bad passphrase, try again:".

Just a thought: Are there any non-ASCII characters in your passphrases?
That's normally a good idea, but you may have run into a character
encoding bug or two.

Since you did a fresh install I bet Fedora was set to use UTF-8 as its
system-wide encoding, and Redhat 7.3 probably used Latin 1. That means
all characters except the ASCII set will be encoded differently, so if
GPG or SSH doesn't transcode the passphrase properly, it will of course
not match.

Björn Persson