FC1 -> FC2 Update: DISASTER!!!

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Jun 4 20:43:19 UTC 2004

Luc Bouchard wrote:

> Your experiences here are the exact reason why we never do OS upgrades,
> regardless of
> manufacture, on any of our boxes.  There too much of a chance that some
> cutomization done over the life of the previous version will seriously
> mess up the upgrade.

I don't agree.
If you do an upgrade, and it doesn't work,
you can always do a full install.
If you install, and it doesn't work, you are stuck.

I have had several cases where the kernel with a version of RedHat or Fedora
would not work (particularly on SCSI only machines),
but an upgrade allowed me to use an old working kernel.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366