FC2 - Another Newbie Question

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 4 21:18:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 06:41:50PM -0300, Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:

> Where can one find a comprehensive list of the various utilities that are
> available to examine/change/configure/add/delete various aspects of
> Fedora?  Such as the 'switch desk' utility someone just mentioned ....
>
> Such info should be in a Linux/Fedora Newcomers FAQ so that we do not have
> to bother people with these basics.

One would think so until you understand how long the list is.
Also almost anything can be replaced with a different tool.

The most common utilities are the 43+ system-config-* utilities.  You
can check the man pages or the redhat documentation on each of them.
Note that if you are looking at the RH9 manuals (recommended and most
complete) or FC1 these are called redhat-config-* in the documentation.

    /usr/sbin/system-config-bind
    /usr/sbin/system-config-network-gui
    /usr/sbin/system-config-bind-gui
    /usr/sbin/system-config-network-cmd
    /usr/sbin/system-config-packages
    /usr/sbin/system-config-network
    /usr/sbin/system-config-boot
    /usr/sbin/system-config-printer
    /usr/sbin/system-config-network-tui
    /usr/sbin/system-config-printer-tui
    /usr/sbin/system-config-printer-gui
    /usr/sbin/system-config-kickstart
    /usr/sbin/system-config-network-druid
    /usr/sbin/system-config-netboot
    /usr/sbin/system-config-proc
    /usr/sbin/system-config-services
    /usr/bin/system-config-securitylevel
    /usr/bin/system-config-bind
    /usr/bin/system-config-time
    /usr/bin/system-config-mouse
    /usr/bin/system-config-httpd
    /usr/bin/system-config-network-cmd
    /usr/bin/system-config-soundcard
    /usr/bin/system-config-keyboard
    /usr/bin/system-config-users
    /usr/bin/system-config-packages
    /usr/bin/system-config-rootpassword
    /usr/bin/system-config-securitylevel-tui
    /usr/bin/system-config-network
    /usr/bin/system-config-boot
    /usr/bin/system-config-printer
    /usr/bin/system-config-language
    /usr/bin/system-config-printer-tui
    /usr/bin/system-config-nfs
    /usr/bin/system-config-printer-gui
    /usr/bin/system-config-authentication
    /usr/bin/system-config-date
    /usr/bin/system-config-network-druid
    /usr/bin/system-config-netboot
    /usr/bin/system-config-proc
    /usr/bin/system-config-services
    /usr/bin/system-config-samba
    /usr/bin/system-config-display

Since most users do not switch desktops the 'switch desk' utility is
not in the list.  It also demands that the alternate desktop be installed
which is another topic given that there are some 1600+ packages any
of which might have a configuration tool and it's own issues.

Another place to read about stuff is /usr/share/doc/.

Another good tool set is info and man.
	man -k  man
	apropos man
	man -a man