Help: Install on AMD 64 creates display wash

Rory Gleeson rory at childwelfare.ca
Fri Jun 4 23:12:13 UTC 2004

Well, I've struck gold with my Screen washout issue on my AMD 63/K8Vse
Deluxe/Sapphire ATI Radeon 9200se 128mb box.

The Alt Ctrl + to change screen resolution didn't get me anywhere.  I had
almost given up.

I then went in to the K8Vse bios and went to the AGP settings.
Under AGP Bridge Configuration, my settings were:
AGP Mode: 8x
AGP Fast Write: Enabled
Graphics Aperture Size: 64mb.

My board is a 128mb and it can handle 8x, I thought.

I changed only AGP Mode to 4x and that booted me in!!! Woo Hoo!!!  BUT,
shouldn't Fedora have been able to handle the 8x with this set-up?  Is this
something worthy of Alan Cox's/Bugzilla time?

As well, If my ATI 9200se 128mb can handle 8x AGP, shouldn't my above settings
actually be 8x and shouldn't I be able to change the Graphics Aperture Size to
128mb?  I don't know what either these settings actually means and the UG
doesn't explain what any of these settings are are or what they do.  So, I
need to be careful and fully informed as I move forward.

Somewhat connected, when I open or close windows in FC2, I still get that
expanding/shrinking black frame that annoyed me on my Celeron 366mhz.  I
thought this new box would have dealt with that.  I know how to disable it but
it also effects graphics speed when you disable it, I'm told.

So, is that a result of the ATI 9200se 128mb being too slow a graphics card?
Meaning, would a 9600 256mb have sped up that black expanding/shrinking frame?
 I would think the 9200 128mb would have been sufficient.  Or maybe it's
because my Graphics Aperture is set to 64mb??  I can set it as high as 256mb
in the bios, but could my 128mb card handle that?  I'm not going to tweak
these settings too much without advice, for fear that I blow something.

Final non-related question about the K8V board.  I'm trying to do an NFS net
install on a different drive for Debian but the Marvel Lan doesn't seem to be
activating.  In bios, Onboard LAN is enabled.  But, Onboard LAN Boot ROM is
disabled.  Should I enable it or is Onboard LAN Boot ROM something else?
Again, the UG (page 4-25) doesn't actually explain what it is. Basically, I
just want to be able to do Net installs that are available with some distros.

In any case, thanks for your help and patience with this newbie!

Rory