Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Sat Jun 5 00:14:53 UTC 2004

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 21:57 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>
>>What, may I ask, do the developers of Linux have to do with this? The
>>developers of Linux may get round to writing a driver they have specs
>>for. How am I ungrateful if there is nothing on which the developers can
>>work on and the company goes/has to go binary driver path?
>

> The devlopers of Linux, X, all GNU software and all the rest have to
> constantly cope with people whining "Linux" is not there. This doesn't
> work well. The proprietary drivers are good (and then when there is a
> compatibility problem the problem is always... from the Free Software).
>
> So that's your gratitude.

Hmm, where did I say proprietary drivers are good?

> As to the path the company followed...
> They don't have to follow it. They chose to do it.

Until you are able to do differently, I don't think you get to judge a
company because it does not do things your way so long as whatever it
does is not criminal.

>>Which planet do you live on? Like there is a lot of open hardware around
>>to pick from. I've done what I can as I am able/allowed to but I sure am
>>not turning down the only alternatives to non-existent 'open hardware'
>>and going around saying you should not buy/use them when there are no
>>alternatives.
>

> Oh, but then one comes here complaining about the 4K stack, about
> instability, 3 thousand posts asking how to get the binary driver when
> the only ones that can answer only say... "soon" (as NVIDIA has been
> answering).

Yeah right, I use them binary drivers with 2.6.6-pre2 on my RH9 box with
no problems. Instability is not always a driver problem. I get flak for
using 'untested 2.6 kernels' but in the end any blinking
instability/crash has been down to hardware so you can take that
elsewhere too.

> <sarcasm>This is surely much better than using Free Software drivers.
> Really!</sarcasm>

I'll join you in that but I never ever said that binary drivers are
better let alone much better the open source drivers. I take whatever is
there but you go around telling people to avoid and not use anything
that does not have open source drivers provided.

> *sigh* /me shuts up

I cannot understand how this all has made you so frustrated that you now
make the impression that I said that binary solutions are better than
open source drivers. What's eating you?