Grub Config

Brant Katkansky lists at katkansky.org
Sat Jun 5 04:34:37 UTC 2004

<note> Not intending to start an editor holy war. </note>

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 12:15:35AM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
> I also don't care much for vi and the insert comands or :wq. Using
> minux a long time ago was about my last time using these very powerful
> but awkward programs.

I guess it depends at least in part on what you learned with.  I used
QEdit on DOS (similar command structure to Wordstar).  I was first
exposed to vi back in the mid-80s and although I hated it at first,
it WAS (and still is) the defacto standard *nix editor, and so if
you used *nix in those days, you needed to know vi.

In the nearly 18 or so years that I've been using vi, I've come
to love it.  Never really tried Emacs, and I consider a lot of the
alternative console editors in Linux to be toys by comparison,
though I must admit I never really took time to learn them properly.
Likewise, I haven't found a GUI editor that suited me... Though I
must admit I use a GUI primarily as a platform for running xterms.

> I guess it matters to whether you like to use an electric screwdriver
> over a manual screwdriver, in comparison.

You might find some disagreement over which one was the electric and
which one was the manual. ;-)

> The wonders of may alternatives to getting the same results.

Indeed.