PATH env variable changed after 'startx'

David Vernon RedHat at ladadee.com
Sat Jun 5 04:38:13 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 17:30, William Hooper wrote:
> David Vernon said:
> > Perhaps this is normal and I never noticed this on FC1. On my FC2 boxes
> > my PATH is being reset when I go into X.
>
> I don't see this on my FC2 machine.

Thanks for the info. I found my culprit. It was a PATH= entry in one of
the scripts for Dag's j2re package (he has since fixed it). The entry
read PATH="/foo:/usr/foo:/usr/local/foo" and not
PATH=$PATH:/foo:/usr/foo

Every time I would start a console in X that script would run again (as
would all the others in /etc/profile.d) and wipe out the rest of my
path.

> --
> William Hooper

David Vernon