errors running Xine..please help

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 17:17:54 UTC 2004

Dhananjoy Chowdhury wrote:
> Hi Everyone..
> When i run xine the Xwindows gets restarted
> i have installed xine rpms and the output of xine-check is here...
>
> [ good ] you're using Linux, doing specific tests
> [ good ] looks like you have a /proc filesystem mounted.
> [ good ] You seem to have a reasonable kernel version (2.4.22-1.2115.nptl)
> [ good ] intel compatible processor, checking MTRR support
> [ good ] you have MTRR support and there are some ranges set.
> [ good ] found the player at /usr/bin/xine
> [ good ] /usr/bin/xine is in your PATH
> [ good ] found /usr/bin/xine-config in your PATH
> [ good ] plugin directory /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.0.0 exists.
> [ good ] found input plugins
> [ good ] found demux plugins
> [ good ] found decoder plugins
> [ good ] found video_out plugins
> [ good ] found audio_out plugins
> [ good ] skin directory /usr/share/xine/skins exists.
> [ good ] found logo in /usr/share/xine/skins
> [ good ] I even found some skins.
> [ good ] /dev/cdrom points to /dev/hdc
> [ good ] found xvinfo: X-Video Extension version 2.2
> [ good ] your Xv extension supports YV12 overlays (improves MPEG
> performance)
> [ good ] your Xv extension supports YUY2 overlays
> [ good ] Xv ports:  YUY2 YV12 I420 UYVY
>

> please help..
> Thanks in Advance,
> Dhananjoy

This happens to me on a computer with an Intel 815 chipset. This
happened on FC1 and still on FC2. I tried Livna and also Freshrpms versions.

What is your screen resolution? What is your videocard type? What type
of monitor do you use?

I use:
1280 x 1024 at 60 Hz (Resolution)
Monitor is a Visual Sensations 1280 x 1024
Video Card is Intel 815

I login by runlevel 3 and use startx to start X. It kills the X session
as does ctl-alt-backspace. I never investigated the reason for it. Xine
works great on my laptop with an ATI mobile video card. Ogle worked
alright on the 815 video card in FC1. Again, I need to investigate why
it doesn't work in FC2 for ogle. I think it is a mix of libs from
freshrpms and from Livna.

This reply probably won't help your problem. It might lead to narrowing
down the cause of your xine failure though. I suspect DRI or similar
problems.

Jim