Grub Config

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 18:19:36 UTC 2004

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> It would appear that on Jun 4, Brant Katkansky did say:
>

>>In the nearly 18 or so years that I've been using vi, I've come
>>to love it.  Never really tried Emacs, and I consider a lot of the
>>alternative console editors in Linux to be toys by comparison,
>>though I must admit I never really took time to learn them properly.
>>Likewise, I haven't found a GUI editor that suited me... Though I
>>must admit I use a GUI primarily as a platform for running xterms.
>>

>>>I guess it matters to whether you like to use an electric screwdriver
>>>over a manual screwdriver, in comparison.
>>
>>You might find some disagreement over which one was the electric and
>>which one was the manual. ;-)
>>

>>>The wonders of may alternatives to getting the same results.
>>
>>Indeed.
>

> I too never really gave emacs a shot. I had to work at it to learn vi,
> then once I discovered vim there was no turning back. In fact about the
> only time I ever open a text file with anything else is when I want to
> copy long texts to some gui application in one copy/paste. IE composing
> something for pasting into some web forums text input box with vim,
> spellchecking it with aspell then opening it with kwrite so the file
> will scroll when the mouse marking extends past the end of the current
> xterm view...
>
> And as far as which one is the electric screwdriver, there would
> definitely be much disagreement about it. But let us not start down the
> path that once led to the fabled vi/emacs holy wars shall we. ;)
>
> Linux, it's all about having alternatives.

 From the requirements that the original poster needed, I see that a GUI
tool would be quite effective. The tool is just capable for changing the
timeout and setting the default kernel/ alternate OS. (system-config-boot)

I think the tool is decent to just change these parameters. Messing with
the grub.conf by most people that just want a system that is easily
configurable is a good thing, IMO, to make Linux easier to manage for
those who might just want to setup basic tasks on their system.

I think that knowing what all of the entries in the config files is
ideal, but not touching the files directly, but through a tool is the
safer approach for future and a wider user base.

I wouldn't even try to compare which application is the best to use to
edit files. I do see my tendacies going toward using GUI editors with a
cut and past, plus a history list for recently opened documents. I use
mc and it's builtin editor less now than before.

No GUI vs. CLI or best editor arguments here.

Jim

--
If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
		-- Maslow