FC2 and Windows XP Boot Problems

Randal Lyle Riedinger rriedinger at zoominternet.net
Sun Jun 6 13:35:29 UTC 2004

I used to run Red Hat 6-9 and FC1 with no problems.  I recently installed
FC2 to /dev/hdf7 using the same partitions I had used previously and
selected not to install a boot loader on the /dev/hda1 MBR.  The installer
didn't give me the option to make a boot floppy, but I got in with the
rescue disk and made one.  I could run FC2 OK, but when I went to boot XP,
it wouldn't boot.  I tried fixing the C: disk with the XP fixmbr, fixboot
and re-installing XP but it still wouldn't boot.  I had another disk with XP
on it and used Norton Ghost to copy it over to another disk and came up OK.
Partition Magic was complaining about the FC2 partitions being improperly
aligned, so I tried re-installing FC2 and letting it create the partitions.
When I tried to reboot XP it said it couldn't find any operating system.  I
ran the Western Digital disk diagnostic and it says that the XP disk is
fine.  I can read from the corrupted (?) disks OK, but when I tried running
the Hard Drive Mechanic Gold demo version, it said the XP disk was too
damaged to repair.  I am going to try Ghosting back the drive image again
and installing grub on it to see what happens.